Kanban Coaching Practices® is now available worldwide.
Receive the same internationally-recognized certifications with the same excellence you’ve come to expect from BERTEIG in-person training.
(KCP) Register Now
This advanced 2-day course teaches you how to apply Kanban’s gradual, non-traumatic approach to change by leveraging the Kanban Maturity Model to garner more buy-in and achieve greater success.
Learn the techniques and mindset to extend your coaching skills.
This course is the second of two courses towards the Kanban Coaching Professional® credential. By completing both KMM and KCP, participants can achieve this credential with Kanban University®.
By successfully completing this course you will be able to:
- Leveraging the specific Kanban Coaching Practices to effectively implement the coaching tools of STATIK and the KMM;
- Know how to use the Evolutionary Change Model in conjunction with KMM to drive incremental change;
- Understand social psychology and incremental/evolutionary change;
- Understand cultural context and know the right leverage points to maximize the chance of successful, institutionalized change;
- How to approach leaders with relevant, pragmatic guidance.
- Understand Social Contextual Mapping as a means to see what and how to change
- Recognize four dimensions of social context as levers and understand tools to shift culture and sociology to enable change:
- Social capital
- Social cohesion
- Social innovation
- Tribal behaviour
- Understand “first who, then why” – why identity matters more than purpose in defining behaviour
- How to identity tribes and informal social groups
- How to model the identity of individuals and groups
- How to predict behaviour based upon identity
- How to analyze and model the social capital, social cohesion, and social innovation of the tribes in your workplace
- Tools, actions, behaviours and values to modify the sociology and culture in the workplace
- When to tighten social cohesion to drive change
- How to improve trust and social capital, versus how to undermine it
- How and when to use Kanban coaching tools such as STATIK, the Kanban Lens, the Kanban Litmus Test
- Identify the typical barriers and inertia blocking achievement of maturity levels 2, 3 and 4
- Learn to coach common objections such as “all our demand has a fixed delivery date,” and “all our demand is irrefutable”
- Learn when and how to implement the service delivery manage (SDM) and service request manager roles with Kanban
- How to negotiate implementation of Kanban with a broader group of stakeholders after completion of a STATIK workshop
- Kanban Coaching Philosophy
- Gauging Appropriateness of Practice Adoption
- Evolutionary Change Theory
- Evolutionary Change Model
- Influencing Values
- Fostering Willingness to Improve
- Avoiding Risks Associated with Maturity Level Transition and Consolidation
- Escalating Tactics for Successful Change
- Overcoming Addiction to Bad Habits that Impede Healthy Change
- Decision Filters for Change
- Social Psychology of Change
- Sociology of Change
- Evolutionary Change Initiative Design
Who Should Attend?
Kanban Coaching Professional® (KCP)
- Those who have experience applying the Kanban method in their organizations and who desire to keep momentum beyond the initial improvements realized from the Kanban system introduction
- Those who wish to extend their coaching skills beyond the learning shared in the Kanban Maturity Model class and want to obtain the Kanban Coaching Professional (KCP) credential. Together with the KMM, this curriculum provides the full playbook of current Kanban coaching techniques.
“My job is to help people and organizations improve and realize their full potential. But I work with many people and groups in this large, complex organization. How can I vary my advice and be sure it is appropriate in their context?”
- The Kanban Management Professional® (KMP) credential is required.
- To achieve the Kanban Coaching Professional® (KCP) credential; students must have the KMP credential and have completed the Kanban Maturity Model and Kanban Coaching Practices training.
- Course participants are encouraged to have read the book Kanban Maturity Model by David J Anderson & Teodora Bozheva.
About Your Instructors
Travis Birch Accredited Kanban Trainer
In 2007, Travis’ classical ballet career was ended by injuries. He figuratively fell off the stage and into a Scrum class. He began his new career as an apprentice Scrum trainer under the mentorship of Mishkin Berteig. That soon lead to training and consulting engagements with the likes of Blackberry and Royal Bank of Canada. He would go on to lead engagements with the Government of Ontario, LoyaltyOne and Telus.
Travis has over a decade of hands on experience helping leaders and organizations achieve business agility, fitness and survivability, customer focus, service-orientation, sustainability, flow of customer value and continuous improvement. Provides pragmatic, evidence-based advice and employs data-driven and humane methods and techniques that enable people and organizations to evolve their own solutions and processes towards success in their own unique business contexts.
Travis considers Kanban’s systematic yet humane approach to evolving organizations a key differentiator to other organizational change approaches. Travis brings curiosity, enthusiasm, respect and empathy to his work as a trainer and consultant.
Select Client List:
- Banking: Scotiabank, BMO, RBC, CIBC, TD, Hometrust
- Insurance: Great West Life, Sun Life, The Economical Insurance Group, Alberta Motor Association
- Other Financial: CapitalOne, Mastercard, Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan, LPL Financial, Zomaron
- Loyalty: Loyalty One, Aimia
- Telecom: Telus, Bell Canada, Blackberry (RIM)
- Charitable: Sick Kids Foundation, World Vision Canada
- Trader.ca, Canadian Tire, Honda Canada, DealerTrack, Government of Ontario, Bruce Power, MyPlanet Digital, Platinum Edge
Certifications and Accreditations:
Accredited Kanban Trainer (AKT), Kanban Coaching Professional (KCP), Kanban Management Professional (KMP)
SAFe Program Consultant (SPC4)
Certified Scrum Professional (CSP), Certified Scrum Master (CSM), Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO)
Professional Scrum Master (PSM1)
Certified Agile Leader (CAL1)
Master of OpenAgile
“Authenticity and passion is at the core of Travis as a person—qualities that transfer into making him a fantastic Agile Coach. Travis connects with people, understands them and sees their strengths, and is able to bring people to be their best. I have had the privilege to work with Travis as my Agile Coach on an extremely challenging Agile organizational transformation. I could not have asked for a better partner, giving me relevant advice and perspective when I needed it and kicking my… when I needed that too. If you are looking for help or to accelerate your journey as an Agile organization, you should connect with Travis.” – Martin Aziz, Director Agile Practices & Business Transformation, PMO, LoyaltyOne, 2018
“I recently took my Kanban System Design and Kanban Management Professional certifications with Travis as the instructor. His deep understanding of the topics, clear presentation and excellent support throughout the class made the learning experience enjoyable and has made me confident I truly understand 100% of the content. I would recommend him highly as an instructor and as a consultant because of his knowledge, communication skills and his ability to reason things through to solutions that make sense.” – Jim Bennet, Agile and Lean Siz Sigma Strategist, Manager, 2017
All attendees receive a free electronic copy of ‘Kanban’ by David J. Anderson, that outlines how to use Kanban in your existing processes, to catalyze cultural change and deliver better business agility.
If you would also like to receive a complimentary spiral-bound journal with zipper pocket, please let us know in the feedback form and we will get one sent out to you.
Each notebook comes with extra BERTEIG Post-It notes and a BERTEIG Sharpie for you to use at work.
Attendees can download ‘Essential Kanban Condensed’ by David J Anderson and Andy Carmichael, any time directly from the LeanKanban University website.
This book is now available in 4 different languages.
Loyalty Is Rewarded
BERTEIG Loyalty Program
At BERTEIG, we believe that continuous lifelong learning is a key element to success and achieving excellence.
The Corporate Loyalty Program encourages our clients to develop a culture of continuous learning. The more people you train, the more money you save!
The discount level you reach by the end of the calendar year is maintained for another full calendar year. As soon as you reach the minimum number of registrations for the next level, you move up and enjoy greater discounts.
The Loyalty Program is available for both Public and Private training.
in a year
off this year
and next year,
in a year
off this year
and next year,
in a year
off this year
and next year,
in a year
off this year
and next year,
BERTEIG loyalty program is not a one-time group discount. It is a long-term organization-wide program to encourage continuous learning in the organization while saving money on training.
If you are looking for a one-time group discount, write to us here or call us on 1-800-215-2314, we would love to help you out.
PLUS More Rewards
Additional benefits of the Loyalty Program
The Corporate Loyalty Program includes FREE Coaching, Assessment, a Curated Library of Resources and Data Reporting.
Personal Access to a
of resources for managers
Quarterly 1-hr Q&A Session with an Expert BERTEIG Consultant
Yearly Report of participants in BERTEIG Training Courses
Monthly 1-hr Q&A Session with an Expert BERTEIG Consultant
Quarterly Report of participants in BERTEIG Training Courses
1 Free use of the BERTEIG Culture Assessment
Monthly 1-hr Q&A Session with Mishkin Berteig
Access to the corporate training Dashboard
2 Free Culture Assessments
50% Discount for 1 person to join the Real Agility Management Track
- Q: Prices are in what currency?
- A: Canadian dollars.
- Q: What methods of payment do you accept?
- A: Visa, Mastercard and American Express. We do not invoice for training. Under special circumstances we can also accept wire transfers, personal cheques, PayPal and Purchase Orders. Please contact email@example.com for special payment arrangements.
- Q: I need to cancel my place due to... what do I do about it?
- A: If your request to cancel is made ten (10) business days prior to the Learning Event, then you will be issued a refund and your spot will be made available for someone else. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number you wish to have refunded.
Within ten (10) business days, no refund is possible for any reason, but we will offer you a spot in a future class at 50% of the normal list price (no other discounts will apply).
In the rare case of family or medical emergencies, please contact email@example.com as soon as you can and we will work with you to find a suitable solution.
- Q: I need to change the course date I am registered for due to... what do I do about it?
- A: As with cancellation, if your request to change dates is made ten (10) business days prior to the Learning Event, then you can be moved. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, current course date and requested new course date.
Within ten (10) business days, no changes are possible for any reason, but we will offer you a spot in another class at 50% of the normal list price (no other discounts will apply).
In the rare case of family or medical emergencies, please contact us as soon as you can and we will work with you to find a suitable solution.
- Q: Can I send someone else in my place?
- A: Yes, you are welcome to change the registration information for a spot in a Learning Event at any time. Please contact email@example.com with the details including your own registration information and the full name, email address and phone number of the person who will attend in your place. There is no charge for such a change.
- Q: I found "the same" course for less... will you give me a discount?
- A: No, you have registered for a premium learning event with BERTEG, not a clone of some other course.
- Q: Do you ever offer discounts?
- A: Yes, everyone who attends one of our Learning Event is given a discount code to use on other courses or to pass along to coworkers, associates, family and friends.
Also, if you belong to an organization that sends more than 3 people to our training courses, you may be eligible for the BERTEIG Loyalty Program. The more people that attend our training, the higher the discount available. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
- Also, we offer "Early Bird" discounts on some Learning Events. We encourage you to register early to take advantage of these offers.
- Q: What if I register, then later discover a Loyalty Program discount was applicable. Can I get the discount applied retroactively?
- A: In most cases, yes you can. Please contact email@example.com with your order number for which you would like the discount applied and your company details.
- Q: Is your training tax deductible and can I get a T2202A slip?
- A: No, our training is not eligible for tax deductions. We do not give T2202A slips. T2202A slips are usually issued from Post Secondary Education Institutions like a college or university. We are not such an institution. Purchasing our training is more like purchasing a book or a ticket to an event.
- Q: How do I become a Certified ScrumMaster® (CSM)?
- A: Scrum Alliance® is the governing body for this certification and BERTEIG is licensed to deliver the training portion. Full details may be found at https://www.scrumalliance.org/get-certified/practitioners/csm-certification. The training component of the CSM designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s virtual public Learning Events or as part of a designated CSM in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: What is included in becoming a Certified ScrumMaster® (CSM)?
- A: The Certified ScrumMaster® (CSM) online training that we offer includes all the materials that are needed to complete the 'training part' of the certification. There is no extra fee for the CSM online test, it is included in your registration with us. Once you have completed the training, you will receive an email within 1 week to complete the remaining step to get your certification. Full instructions will be provided in class, but don't worry, the test is straightforward! If you want to study, please consider reading the Scrum Guide.
- Q: How do I become a Certified Scrum Product Owner® (CSPO)?
- A: Scrum Alliance® is the governing body for this certification and BERTEIG is licensed to deliver the training portion. Full details may be found at https://www.scrumalliance.org/get-certified/practitioners/cspo-certification. The training component of the CSPO designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s virtual public Learning Events or as part of a designated CSPO in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I get SAFe® Scaled Agilist Certification (SA) from Scaled Agile®?
- A: Scaled Agile® is the governing body for this certification and BERTEIG is licensed to deliver the training portion. Full details may be found at https://www.scaledagile.com/certification/courses/leading-safe. The training component of the SA® designation is available only by attending BERTEIG’s virtual designated SA in-house private Learning Event.
We do not offer SAFe® training as a public enrolment course as it is highly contextual curriculum.
- Q: How do I become certified as an OpenAgile® Team Member (OATM)?
- A: The OpenAgile Center for Learning is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at http://www.openagile.com/TeamMember. The training component of the OATM designation is available either by attending a virtual designated OATM in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I become a PMI® Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)?
- A: The Project Management Institute® (PMI) is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at https://www.pmi.org/certifications/types/agile-acp. The training component of the PMI-ACP® designation is available either by attending a designated virtual PMI-ACP in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I become certified as a Team Kanban Practitioner® (TKP)?
- A: Kanban University® (KU) is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at https://leankanban.com/team-kanban. The training component of the TKP designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s virtual public Learning Events or as part of a designated virtual TKP in-house private Learning Event.
- Q: How do I become certified as a Kanban Management Professional (KMP)?
- A: Kanban University® (KU) is the governing body for this certification. Full details may be found at https://leankanban.com/kmp-program. Note this is a two-class certification – you must complete BOTH the Kanban Systems Design® (KMP I) class AND the Kanban System Improvement® (KMP II) class. The training component of the KMP® designation is available either by attending BERTEIG virtual public Learning Events or as part of designated in-house private Learning Events.
- Q:How do I become a Scrum Inc. Scrum Master Product Owner® (SSMPO)?
- A: Scrum Inc® is the governing body for this certification and BERTEIG is licensed to deliver the training portion. Full details may be found at https://agileeducation.org. The training component of the SSMPO designation is available either by attending one of BERTEIG’s virtual public Learning Events or as part of a designated in-house private Learning Event.
- Q:How can I claim my CSM® or CSPO® or SSMPO® class for PDUs from PMI®?
- A: Please log in to your account on the PMI Continuing Certification Requirements System (CCRS) website at https://ccrs.pmi.org and enter the details of your learning experience to claim the hours. Be sure to enter all the details of the class you took (CSM or CSPO or SSMPO) to claim the appropriate PDUs (16 for 2-day and 24 for 3-day).
- Q: How can I claim other BERTEIG event PDUs from PMI®?
- A: If you have completed a Learning Event with BERTEIG that has appropriate content e.g. BERTEIG MicroLearning™ you may claim the PDUs as private learning hours on the PMI-CCRS website.
- If asked, you may need to show evidence of registration or attendance for the class. Obtaining PDUs is your responsibility and for more information, please refer to the PMI-CCR Certification Requirements Handbook at https://www.pmi.org/-/media/pmi/documents/public/pdf/certifications/ccr-certification-requirements-handbook.pdf?la=en.
- Q: What if I'm shy and don't like interacting with people?
- A: Our virtual Learning Events are highly interactive and we make them safe and comfortable for even the most shy people! Our facilitators are experts in creating an online environment where everyone is encouraged to participate without forcing you to do things or say things that might be uncomfortable. This is not like school. This is not like a university lecture. This is not like a high-pressure business meeting.
- Q: What if I'm just coming to get a certification?
- A: Okay! We know lots of people who have come to our virtual Learning Events in the past to only achieve a valuable certification. They have told us in no uncertain terms that it was still the best "course" they have ever attended, they learned far more than they expected to, and that they were excited to apply what they learned as soon as possible. Sure, you can attend just for the certification!
- Q: What do I need to do to prepare for the online course?
- A:There are three things you must do beforehand to prepare for BERTEIG online Learning Events.
1. Complete pre-work at training.berteig.com
2. Set up Zoom for video conferencing
3. Get familiar with Miro whiteboard collaboration
- For most Learning Events, there is some pre-work which must be completed before the class begins. Failure to do so, will mean rescheduling and application of the $150 Rescheduling Fee.
- Check the description of your Learning Event to see if there are any special requirements.
- Q: Do I need a laptop or can I use my phone?
- A: You will need a laptop or desktop for the BERTEIG Learning events. Handheld devices such as tablets and phones are not suitable for the interactive nature of the classes.
- Q: Do you provide copies of your slides?
- A: First of all, we usually don't use slides in our Learning Events - instead we have a moderate number of handouts and these are accessed in one place using the BERTEIG Learning Management System (LMS).
- The only exception to this is the SAFe training classes where we are a delivery partner and the materials come directly from Scaled Agile - in those classes there are typically a lot of slides to go through in the training.
- Q: When does my Learning Event start and finish?
- A: Normally our Learning Events start at 9:00am sharp and end by 4:30pm (Eastern Time +5:00 GMT). Some Learning Events may have other schedules. Please read the page about your particular Learning Event to know exactly what time it starts and ends. Be mindful that some courses have a substantial Theory portion that needs to be completed prior to the Classroom start.
- Q: Do you offer your virtual Learning Events as private sessions?
- A: Yes. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to receive a quote. Typically 'in-house' virtual sessions are scheduled six or more weeks after a contract has been signed - please ask for a quote as soon as possible if you think your need is urgent!
We can also create custom online Learning Events for an additional fee. We even do train-the-trainer programs for larger organizations who wish to leverage in-house staff.
Generally, we avoid doing the CSM, CSPO and SSMPO Learning Events as private virtual classes, and we encourage you to attend with your group to a public scheduled session.
- Q: What if I have an emergency and have to leave for some/part/most of the virtual class?
- A: It depends on the emergency. If it is a medical emergency for yourself or a family member, we will work with you to either re-schedule or refund your money depending on circumstances. We don't have a fixed policy about this.
For work related emergencies, we will not issue a refund, but will offer a spot to you at a future course at a 50% discount rate.
- Q: What does it mean when a session is "Guaranteed To Run"?
- A: Most BERTEIG Learning Events are given this designation, which means that if it's scheduled, we will run the class, even with just a few people registered. We do this to respect the time you have allotted to learning. Occasionally something may prevent us from running the class e.g. a health emergency, however we will do everything we can under normal circumstances to run scheduled classes; we take this seriously and it is our commitment to you.
- Q: Do you recommend any supplemental learning resources?
- A: Yes. We have a list of recommended reading for agility that is organized by type of BERTEIG Learning Event.
- Q: Does BERTEIG partner with others to advertise and deliver training?
- A: Yes. We partner with training resellers who can reach a different audience than the companies we normally serve. If you have a question about our resellers or if you are interested in establishing a partnership relationship please contact email@example.com.
- Q: I am a trainer myself. Can I list my courses on this website?
- A: No. This is one type of partnership that we are considering but have not yet established. If you are interested in this type of partnership, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.